Friday, May 27, 2011

Surviving the Angel of Death...

I am not a big reader of non-fiction-I admit it!  Ironic considering that I am a history teacher and my knowledge depends on non-fiction, the world of primary and secondary sources.  I made a commitment to myself to read at least one non-fiction book a month.  I squeaked by this month by choosing to read: Surviving the Angel of Death by Eva Mozes Kor and Lisa Rojany Buccieri.  It is Eva Kor’s story of her life as a Mengele Twin in Auschwitz.  It is a story of survival, of the lengths that a child will go to to ensure not only her survival but her twin’s too.  The book is the YA adapted edition of Echoes from Auschwitz: Dr. Mengele's Twins: The Story of Eva & Miriam Mozes. 
I like non-fiction that reads with the flow of fiction.  I don’t like the choppy feel of a lot of non-fiction writing.  Angel of Death reads like a story.  It is smooth and flows well and kept me engaged while reading.  I liked it enough to want to read more books by the same author.  And that is saying a lot when it isn’t fiction!

No comments:

Post a Comment