Friday, June 3, 2011

The Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

I just finished reading this, well to be honest listening to it, and I really, really liked it.  There is something about a book that blends fiction with real events effortlessly enough to make it feel like you are watching or a part of what is going on.  (And y'all know I don't like non-fiction)...
The characters were honest-no, I don't mean they told the truth; they were themselves and that is what made me like them-well except for Yeh-Yeh-but he wasn't supposed to be getting the reader's love.
My students have recently finished studying World War II and I wish I had read this before we finished, I would have allowed them to read it for extra credit.  We don't spend a lot of time talking about the internment camps-and it was something that the kids thought was interesting-so for next year, I'm keeping the title in mind for that extra opportunity.
I was waiting and waiting for the end of the book-I wanted to know...I always want to know if and how things work out for the characters.  I wasn't disappointed it lived up to it's title.

No comments:

Post a Comment