Monday, November 21, 2011

Smart Novels

Publisher: Spark Publishing (Yes, the maker of Spark Notes!)
I found a series of books-quite by accident at Half Price Books the other day- that benefit high school students enrolled in U.S. History or preparing for SAT or AP tests.  The novels I found focus on U.S. History material, but there is a series that relates to English and uses SAT vocabulary to help students review.
I am currently reading A Time for Witches, and I am caught up in the story line.  I also like the fact that there is, at the end of every chapter, two - three of pages of facts that relate to the time period in the book.  It doesn't take away from the story in any way and makes for some interesting things to learn.  I have been to Salem and there are things I didn't learn on my visit that I discovered in my reading of this novel.
From the publisher: This series of young adult fiction novels follows Mindy, a teenage girl from modern-day Salem, as she time travels to key moments in American history to fight off alien invasions. Each book highlights approximately 500 historical facts about the period in which the book is set with humorous, engaging lists interspersed throughout.
Salem Witch Trials - Book 1:  Mindy Gold observes the Salem Witch Trials from a front-row seat-the one where they put the accused witches.
Shades of Blue and Gray - Book 2: Mindy travels to the Civil War Battle of Bull Run to rescue the cutest guy in her high school.
 
 
 
 
 
Revolution - Book 3: Mindy faces rabble-rousing Whigs, smallpox outbreaks, and carnivorous pigs as she plays a dangerous game of cat and mouse in 1775 Philadelphia.
 
 
 
 
Gilded Delirium - Book 4: As Mindy searches Gilded Age Chicago for her arch-rival Veronica, she’s pursued at every turn by the sinister Pinkerton detective agency.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment