Monday, June 13, 2011

The Ideal Man

Julie Garwood
Penguin Group (USA)

I have loved Julie Garwood's historical romances. I tried to read one of her contemporary romances a few years ago but just couldn't get into it. It's one of the few books I haven't finished. That is so not the case with Ideal Man. I loved this book!  I couldn't put it down! The writing was smooth, the dialogue was fast paced and the story-while involved-didn't drag. I like that Garwood writes female characters who have strength and fortitude while still being feminine. Dr. Ellie Sullivan is a great character; intelligent, hard-working, and relatable. FBI Agent Max Daniels was definitely, as the title suggests, the ideal man for her.
I enjoyed meeting the Sullivan family in the story-the everything at a deal dad, the  guilt-wielding mom, the wretched sister and her twin the sweet one. 
The primary and secondary story lines worked well and made the story stronger. My only ho-hum was the inserted love story of the sweet sister-it was happily resolved, but seemed sort of an afterthought. 
Overall-I'd recommend The Ideal Man. It's a quick read perfect for a summer day of relaxing.

2 comments:

  1. Oooooooo good to know. I LOVE her historicals but had the same issue with the contemporary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to take the opportunity over the summer to check out more of her contemporaries and give them another shot :)

    ReplyDelete